Re-string Broken Wind Chimes!

Many years ago I bought a large and rather pricey set of wind chimes.  I loved the sound they made.  The larger the metal tubes, the deeper the tone – so these didn’t have a “tinkle” sound, it was much fuller, closer to church bells.  Sadly, the wooden ring they hung from was eventually weakened enough by exposure to the elements and temperature changes that it broke.  I kept the chimes themselves, though, hoping I’d figure out a way to repair or re-use them.  They lay in a corner of the shed for a year or so, and then along came Pinterest, savior of all shed junk.

I found this on a friend’s blog and pinned it for later use (for when I could talk someone else into drilling holes for me).  Here’s how my version turned out:

Michael and John did all the work (with me nagging incessantly).  They chose a Y-shaped branch from a big limb that fell in a recent storm, drilled a hole for each chime and a hole at each of the three ends.  Everything was strung with fishing line and anchored with some large-bore beads I had handy (buttons would have worked just as well).  And yes, I will be moving the birdhouse.  I can just hear the bird version of House-Hunters: “I can’t possibly live right next to those loud chimes!”
I’m linking this up to Oh, How Pinteresting, The 52 Weeks of Pinterest Challenge, Works for Me Wednesday, Whatever Goes Wednesday, and The Mommy Club Resources and Solutions.

And wind chimes, by the way, make great Christmas gifts!

Priced at just $4.99, it is now available in every format your little heart could desire at Smashwords, or, if you prefer, it’s also for sale in a Kindle version at Amazon or a Nook version at Barnes and Noble!

Digiprove sealCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2011

Carrie November 22, 2011 at 8:54 am

What a freaking BRILLIANT idea!

My mom (along with the rest of the world except me) is addicted to Pintrest. We can go nowhere without her seeing something and saying, “Oh, I saw something just like that on Pintrest I’m gonna try!”

She has tons of stuff she’s going to “try.”

(I’ve bobbled around on it before, but it hasn’t grabbed me yet.)

Looks great and I bet it sounds even better!

I guess I’m gonna have to cave to peer pressure and put more time into Pintrest.

Angie November 22, 2011 at 9:21 am

Just give up and jump into the bottomless pit of Pinterest with the rest of us. Sure, it sucks up a lot of time, but you can always give up something non-essential (cleaning, cooking, laundry, sleep).

Dianna Kennedy November 22, 2011 at 10:57 am

Or, Carrie can lie in bed like I do, with the iPad, perusing Pinterest while I’m ‘resting’. Then no one bothers me :)

Carrie November 22, 2011 at 5:00 pm

That’s pretty good, Diana. The only problem is…I don’t get bothered at home since I live alone.

BUT…I’m betting it would work at the office. I’m already really good at looking really busy when I’m, well…really not.

I’ll report back on how that works. I usually surprise even me.

=)

Carrie November 22, 2011 at 5:02 pm

SO sorry! Dianna…had to correct the spelling.

Kind of a pet peeve of mine…I do apologize!

Beverly@Beverly's Back Porch November 22, 2011 at 9:34 am

I love wind chimes! My favorite are the large bamboo ones. They make me feel like I’m in the islands. I wish! You guys did a great job.

Leslie November 22, 2011 at 3:05 pm

You’re going to guilt me into finally restringing those wind chime pipes that have been lying around my deck for the past….hmmm….not gonna say how many years! I’d never considered a tree branch, though. Love it!

Angie November 22, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Aren’t you glad you didn’t throw them away? I smile every time I hear mine now – hadn’t realized how much I’d missed that sound :)

Kerri November 23, 2011 at 10:49 am

“savior of all shed junk.” {snort} That is PERFECT!
How ya doing on NaNoWriMo??

Angie November 23, 2011 at 11:13 am

I’ve been watching you on my buddy list and you are ROCKING NaNo! Life has gotten in the way for me, fighting with my disability insurance company (who hasn’t paid me since early September) trying to adjust to med changes, etc. I’m still writing, but there’s no way I’ll be a winner this year :(

deb November 25, 2011 at 11:24 am

Great idea…Spring project for sure!
*hugs*deb

nina December 5, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Mine have gone rusty ish too so i’m thinking it’s a write off, i only wish i had gotten round to it sooner. At least i think it’s rust, they could be copper, ahh the excuses continue, that’s it i’m going to look…
nope, copper, i can re-string! yeah, now i just need someone to nag!

Angie December 6, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Yeah, I think the nagging here took longer than any other part of the project!