The Lord’s Prayer

Why is it that the Lord’s Prayer has brought me to the verge of tears every time I’ve said it aloud for the past many months?  I can’t even remember how young I was when I first learned it, probably in the nursery at the small country church where my aunt now is, some Sundays, in charge of the little ones.  It was a difficult adjustment seventeen years ago when I had to learn to say it the “Catholic Mass” way, waiting for words from the priest before I was allowed to finish.  Last night I said it holding the hand of my father-in-law.  For those of you who know me, please close your mouth or you’re gonna catch a fly.

I went to Mass alone, but my father-in-law’s best friend caught my eye and beckoned me forward before I had taken a seat further back in the church.  He is a recent widower, a lovely, thoughtful, and charming elderly man.  He is a true Southern gentleman, one whom could be dropped into absolutely any situation and handle it with aplomb.  He has been trying to convince my father-in-law to attend church regularly with him.  Tom, my father-in-law, didn’t say any of the responses during Mass, sing any of the songs.  But when the time came to pray the Lord’s Prayer he took my hand.  I have to be honest and say I would not have made the overture.  We have unresolved issues.  Issues that involve his late wife, my mother-in-law and very close friend.  We quarreled throughout her descent into the Hell on Earth that is Alzheimer’s Disease, but he called me at 3:30 am the morning she passed away as I’d asked him to do and I rushed to be there for her.  I was so angry over so many things, but I calmly pushed for the things I knew would have been important for Pat at.  She had a funeral Mass.

I’ve harbored resentment towards him for so long, not for wrongs done to me, but for wrongs done to my friend, which are sometimes harder to let go of.  But last night, as I uttered the phrase “as we forgive those who trespass against us” I just let it all go.  Pat forgave him many years ago – how self-absorbed of me not to let it go before now!  Not that we’re going to be best buds or anything.  I invited him over for supper tomorrow night, though.  We’ll see.  Pot Roast with potatoes, carrots, and rice bread.  A few short weeks ago it was “Give us this day our daily bread” that choked me up.  That’s progress, right?

What prayer or scripture has inspired you this week?   Drop by Saints and Scripture SundayScripture and a Snapshot, Sunday Snippets, Spiritual Sundays, Hear it on Sunday, Playdates with God,Word Filled Wednesdays, Walk With Him Wednesdays, iFellowship, Planting Mustard Seeds, Good Morning Girls,  and Journeys of Faith Fridays to share!

Saints and Scripture Sunday

Priced at just $4.99, it is now available in every format your little heart could desire at Smashwords, or, if you prefer, it’s also for sale in a Kindle version at Amazon or a Nook version at Barnes and Noble!

Dianna Kennedy January 22, 2012 at 2:01 pm

You’re right — I am surprised — and very proud of you. It feels good, to let all that go.

Carol@simple_catholic January 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Forgiveness is not easy and to let go of a hurt that touches us deeply is truly a gift from God. Thank you for being brave enough to share this powerful moment with the rest of us.

Beverly@Beverly's Back Porch January 22, 2012 at 3:18 pm

My mouth is closed now. I’m so proud of you for making this step. Life is too short for resentments. I still have one or two as of late. Tom may be trying to make a few amends himself. Have a lovely dinner. I know it will be fabulous.

Sandra Heska King January 22, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Powerful testimony.

PearlsGirl January 22, 2012 at 5:33 pm

It lightens our heart when we let love take over rather than frustration, dislike, etc. But, it sure is hard to do that sometimes, isn’t it? Congratulations on letting God move through your heart last night. Sometimes if we are just quiet, I think the Lord just smiles and does His magic. We have a line in one of our songs, “Fall in the arms of God.” What a beautiful, peaceful thought … “Fall in the arms of God.” What could be a safer, softer place to fall?

Kylee January 22, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I am a new follower via the Spiritual Sunday’s Blog. Your post reminded me of a quote that I once heard in a Tyler Perry Movie “Forgiveness is not for the other person, but for ourselves”.

Angie January 23, 2012 at 9:11 am

That is absolutely true! My FIL is oblivious to the fact that I’ve been harboring resentment towards him for years, but it has weighed heavy on MY heart.

Contra January 22, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Forgiveness really is one of those things that we must give before we receive.

Deborah January 23, 2012 at 4:58 pm

my first time here from katie’s site!
i love the Lord’s Prayer!!
beautiful photo! great testimony!
i know that when i’ve let that unforgiveness go,
it felt so good to be free!

Angie January 23, 2012 at 5:32 pm

The photo is actually of one of husband’s family monuments – I love what Instagram can do with just an ordinary photo! And, yes, the dinner last night went VERY well and I felt SUCH a sense of freedom :)

Dolly @ soulstops January 23, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Wow! What a gift from God to enable you to forgive…deep hurts are always the hardest to forgive and a process (at least for me)… Good for you! Visiting from Laura’s blog.

Charlotte January 25, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Certainly sounds like progress to me. Forgiveness is often very difficult, but it is absolutely essential. Whenever I have a hard time forgiving, I remember the story of Joseph and his brothers and it melts my heart every time.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Kathleen January 25, 2012 at 6:25 pm

God is good All the time… Forgiveness is healing. Amen.

Rebecca January 25, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Forgiveness….it is hard, especially when trying to forgive the wrong done to a loved one….God can help you, though…to forgive and forget! My prayers go out to you!!!!

Denise January 26, 2012 at 1:41 am

Awe inspiring testimony.

Jennifer January 26, 2012 at 3:00 pm

That is absolutely progress! Isn’t it amazing what God can work in our lives through just a few verses of His Word.

This is a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your heart.

Amber January 27, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Oh Angie, oh Angie am I ever glad you linked up today. This story really touched my heart.

Alzheimer’s is hell on earth for not only the person, but for those us who love the one suffering so very much. I am sad over the hurt you mentioned, but so very grateful that forgiveness has come. Forgiveness, although hard, and often needed time and time again for the same offense, is the only way to truly be free in this life.