Spring Rains. . . and Patience

Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord’s coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains. ~James 5:7

I’m not patient.  If there’s a gene for patience I was born without it.  Waiting makes me crazy, even when I have all the time in the world.  So how have I dealt with the chronic neck pain, four neurosurgeries, multiple doctors, therapies, medications, and miscellaneous treatments  that have controlled my life since January of 2009?  Not well.  The fact that I lost my job of twenty years and I’m still not physically able to do many normal day-to-day activities, let alone return to work?  Not well at all.

I used  to think this experience was God’s way of teaching me patience, but I’m just not sure anymore.  Everything happens for a purpose, I know that.  But sometimes, like today, I get a tad bit (OK, a lot) frustrated that I can’t do the things I want to do.  Today I’d like to go see my future daughter-in-law perform in Faust.  I’m sure she’s fabulous.  But a two-hour ride each way and a three-hour opera?  Simply not possible for me right now.  And I hate that.
What prayer or scripture has inspired you this week?   Drop by Saints and Scripture Sunday, Scripture and a Snapshot, Sunday Snippets, Spiritual Sundays, Hear it on Sunday,Playdates with God, Walk With Him Wednesdays, and iFellowship to share!

Priced at just $4.99, it is now available in every format your little heart could desire at Smashwords, or, if you prefer, it’s also for sale in a Kindle version at Amazon or a Nook version at Barnes and Noble!

Digiprove sealCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2012

Bonnie Way May 6, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Aw… I have other friends who deal with chronic pain or fatigue. It’s tough. Filming the performance just isn’t the same as seeing it. And I’m not good at patience either. May God bless you today!

Barb Schoeneberger May 6, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Angie, I’m an opera lover who hasn’t been to a live performance of anything since I was diagnosed with severe fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue in 2004 and had both hips replaced in 2008-09. I can hardly get through Mass on Sundays sometimes. Our minds outpace our bodies as these physical issues take over. It may be surrender the Lord is teaching you, and trust in Him, not patience. Just keep giving it all to the Crucified One and eventually you will find peace.

Angie May 7, 2012 at 8:52 am

I think you’re exactly right, and surrender is SO hard for me. . . but I’m trying!

Carol@simple_catholic May 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Praying for you Angie. I deal with chronic pain, too and I know how frustrating it is.

Have to say, your second sentence made me laugh. I definitely was born WITHOUT a patience gene, too. :)

Pamela May 6, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Chronic pain is certainly not fun. I’ve figured out ways to get my mind off it it when situations demand my attendance. Inbetween volleyball and basketball games (with those crazy bleechers) I whip out a book. Losing myself in Venice or Heaven can give me a few moments of reprieve. If I’m stuck somewhere without a book I make up one in my head, write a list of favorite things. Recently I was i a very boring convention and merely wrote the 10 ten things you can do in a boring meeting–all of which included treasures in my purse. ha!

But there are days…and on those days my chair, my heating pad and large glass of double strength tea are my friends!

Holly@ALife-SizeCatholicBlog May 6, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Came across your blog on the Sunday Snippets hop. I love it … such a fun site! Sorry to hear about the above issues. Thanks for taking the time to write a great post and also from including all the great opportunities (links) to make other friends! Stop by my blog and see if you’d like to follow. I followed you on twitter since you’re a wordpress blogger.

Ellen Gable Hrkach May 7, 2012 at 8:37 am

Hello Angie…so sorry to hear you are dealing with chronic pain. I’ll definitely keep you in prayer. BTW, are you a member of the Catholic Writers Guild? I noticed that you’ve published a book and that you’re working on a novel. That’s cool! (And amazing, considering your chronic pain!) The CWG is a great organization, lots of support (I’m VP). If you’re interested, I’ll send the link. And…maybe we can do a review swap. If you’re interested, I’ll send you one of my books and you can send me your book for review. God bless you!

Angie May 7, 2012 at 8:55 am

I’d love more info on CWG – I believe one of the ladies in my writing group is a member. And a review swap would be wonderful as well :)

Ellen Gable Hrkach May 7, 2012 at 8:58 am

The link for the Catholic Writers Guild is http://www.catholicwritersguild.com. Info on membership is in the left-hand side bar (if you have any trouble navigating the site, let me know). I have a Kindle so I’d be glad to receive a Kindle copy of your book. And I’d be happy to send you a Kindle copy of any of my books. Just let me know which one. God bless!

Beth May 7, 2012 at 9:43 am

I’m so sorry that you’re limited by your health right now, Angie. It’s the worst. I haven’t had major issues with this but can relate somewhat since I’ve had moderate Rheumatoid Arthritis for 18 years. I will certainly pray that you are able to get back to an active life. I’ll also pray that you feel God comforting and growing you during this time. Thanks for sharing!

Kathleen Basi May 7, 2012 at 10:37 am

You may never know God’s purpose…or it may show up years from now. The hardest part is living faithfully without guarantees. I’ll pray for you.

Deborah May 7, 2012 at 8:13 pm

It sounds like you’ve been through so much, Angie! I’ll pray that His joy in you will overcome all those things that can get you down! I’m also one of little patience, but I found that God uses circumstances to help me grow in that area, among a few others! Still it’s hard sometimes to be patient just getting there! I want to thank you for dropping by and sharing a comment, too! May your week be filled with His blessings, and, yes, more patience! :)

Cindee Snider Re May 7, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Angie, my heart aches for you. I am in a similar physical situation, and it’s hard. But like you, I know God is in this and He’s using it, sometimes in ways we might never know this side of Heaven. I wouldn’t have chosen to be in this place, to live with constant pain, to have had multiple surgeries, PT, OT, daily meds, to be learning to live within the limits of a permanent injury, but if I had the chance to do it all again, I wouldn’t choose to go back to the person I was before the accident either. I wouldn’t choose to miss the depth and incredible closeness of God’s Presence in the hard places. I’ve become more real, more open, more honest and vulnerable since the accident, and I wonder sometimes if God chose to heal me today, if I wouldn’t slip right back into familiar old patterns of self-sufficiency because I would no longer “need” God every moment of every day like I do today.

Praying for you today, Angie!

Angie May 8, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Thank you! And you’re so right, the last thing I would want to do lose all that I have learned and the closer relationship with God that I’ve developed during all this.

Dianna Kennedy May 8, 2012 at 1:40 am

Love you, sweetheart. I’m right there with you on no patience, reluctantly relinquishing control. Sigh.

Charlotte May 9, 2012 at 11:08 am

I missed out on that patience gene too. Seems like I’m always waiting for something and usually not in a very patient way. I think I am improving though. Maybe by the time I’m 90 I’ll get it. LOL
Thank you for sharing.