The Green Bean Diet for Dogs – It Works!

I tend to overfeed my dogs – I admit it. But Sam had gotten past the “plump” stage to the “too bottom-heavy to jump onto the bed” stage. So when my sister-in-law, Marcia, came in to visit and mentioned that their dog, Lily, had lost a lot of weight on the green bean diet and seemed to truly enjoy it I decided to give it a try. I wish I had a “before” shot, but here’s the new, slimmer Sam:

skinny Sam

She's still a little camera-shy ;)

How does it work? Very simply, actually. Read the packaging on your usual brand of dog food – the recommended amount for weight loss, not maintenance, and give you dog just a little less than that at each feeding. Replace that with double that amount of green beans. The exact measurements will depend on the size of your dog, but what worked for us (Sam was well over one hundred pounds) was cutting her two meals by 1/4 cup each and replacing that with 1/2 cup canned green beans. She adores the green beans. You would think we were feeding her hot fudge sundaes every meal. And she’s lost weight, her eyes are brighter, her fur shinier, and she is much more energetic and playful. I’m doing the same thing with Boss, not because of a weight problem, but because he has a sensitive stomach and the green beans seem to help with that as well – who knew? So of course I’m buying green beans in bulk. I buy several of these at a time ($3.99 at GFS).

I’m hoping to use fresh green beans from the garden later this summer, and I’m beginning to wonder if the green bean diet would work for humans. . .

I’ll also be linking up with Works for Me Wednesday, Whatever Goes Wednesday, and The Mommy Club Resources and Solutions.

Priced at just $4.99, it is now available in every format your little heart could desire at Smashwords, or, if you prefer, it’s also for sale in a Kindle version at Amazon or a Nook version at Barnes and Noble!

Brandi June 13, 2012 at 8:19 am

Thanks for sharing this, so good to know.

Beverly@Beverly's Back Porch June 13, 2012 at 10:47 am

My pups love green beans. The garden green beans will be ready on Monday. It will work for humans. Eliminate meat from your diet 3-4 times a week and replace with FRESH vegetables.

Kim June 13, 2012 at 1:42 pm

This post is a thinly-veiled jab at my Daisy-doodle, isn’t it, Angie?! Seriously, though, she packed on the pounds over this past winter and despite plenty of walks this summer, she’s more than pleasingly plump. Considering that she’s a freakin’ chow hound and scarfs down any food she can find laying around, she ought to take to the green bean diet just fine.

Angie June 14, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I would NEVER insult your sweet Daisy! But if you DO try the green bean diet let me know how it works. The odd thing is that we almost never eat green beans ourselves now, since they’ve become associated with dog food ;)

Kara June 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I am so happy that people know about this diet!! I worked at privately owned pet store for awhile and learned A TON about health and nutrition for dogs. We weren’t a big corporation, so we had to be awesome at knowing our stuff to keep our customers, and it worked! Anyway, green beans are great for dogs and I am so glad you got this out there to share! Something else that might help your sensitive tummied dog is pumpkin, it is a great digestive aid for dogs. Also, I wanted to share my healthy dog treat basics with you if you are at all interested :) Love this post!!

Healthy Treat Basics:

Angie June 14, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Thank you so much! I’m going to tweet out your post right now :)

Elise June 13, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Who would have thought that a dog would like green beans?!

Angie June 14, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I was surprised, too. Evidently not all dogs do, though. I was dog-sitting for a friend and offered her dog green beans and he looked at me like I had two heads!

Lori June 14, 2012 at 11:31 pm

For two weeks now I have made my own dog food from tutorials I found online. I didn’t know about green beans though! I will have to add those in.