I only planted one basil plant this summer. Thankfully, I put it in a pot that could by moved, since Boss, my rescue dog, thought it was a fabulous place to relieve himself. Now it sits on a bench, well out of his range. And I have more basil than I could possibly use, so it’s time to make pesto and freeze it for the winter. Consider this a head-start on your homemade Christmas gifts!
- 3 cups basil
- 4 tsp chopped garlic (about 8 cloves)
- 3/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- Mix everything except lemon juice and oil in blender or food processor.
- Blend well.
- Add olive oil and lemon juice and mix to combine.
- Will keep in fridge for 2-3 days, can store frozen through the winter.
These are the jars I like to use for basil. Nice wide mouth, but not such a large amount that it starts to brown before you can use all of it.
*This post contains affiliate links.