So, nine things I’d rather be doing today? Easy-peasy!
- At Work. Yeah, not working sounds great to everyone dragging out of bed at the butt crack o’dawn to work sixty hours a week without taking a break to pee, let alone eat. But try not working because you physically can’t. That also means you can’t clean, cook, do laundry, do yardwork, exercise, take classes, or even follow the plot of a stupid TV show some days. And oh, yeah! You don’t get paid, but all the bills still need to be paid. Not so much fun.
- Lying on the beach. My name is Angie and I’m a beach addict. I need soft, white sand and warm seawater periodically, and no anti-depressant can replicate that. Our last vacation was, I think, nine years ago. No, not getting a vacation isn’t cruel and unusual punishment by far, and things could be SO much worse. I’m just writing about the nine places I’d rather be, and “the beach” is one of them.
- Austin, TX. I’d love to visit my son, daughter-in-law, and grand-dog and see their new house! I’d love to help them paint the rooms and landscape their new yard. I’d love to have them take us on a tour of their workplaces, Tabby’s doggy daycare, their favorite dog park, and all their favorite hotspots. I particularly want to see that bats come out, because that’s one place I could be assured I wouldn’t get mosquito bites!
- Ohio. I’m dying to meet my first grand-niece, Layla. I have pictures and videos, but it’s just not the same. And it’s a 3-hour trip each way, so I can’t do it alone. And since Michael has been working six days a week to keep us afloat for years now I just can’t ask him to drive six hours on his day off. He’d love to see her, too, but his one day off is like recuperation from surgery before another surgery the next week. He needs that day for health reasons.
- Hawaii. Yeah, that’s a flight of fancy, right? When I cried in pain all through the flight from Baltimore to Louisville – HA! But in an ideal world Michael and I would have done so well with Nerium that we’d be in Hawaii this week for an all-expense-paid leadership conference. Of course our trip to Cancun (or was it a cruise) wouldn’t have been long ago, so we’d just be doing some quick catch-ups between seminars.
- Italy. While John and I were lost on the University of Louisville campus we found a big board with a bin of chalk that said, “Before I die, I want to . . .” My honest answer would have been “find my way back to my car”, but instead I wrote “go to Italy”. No, it’s not a reasonable or attainable goal, but at least three people had written something about creating peace on Earth, which kind of puts mine in perspective.
- in IKEA with an unlimited budget. My house needs organization so badly. I need someone pushing me in a wheelchair through IKEA while someone else stays at home for me to call with measurements and another person waits patiently to find out what size U-haul to rent. Louisville does not have an IKEA, so it’s not like I can just go buy a couple of things at a time.
- Touring English gardens. Not formal ones with carefully clipped boxwoods, but cottage gardens where the flowers run wild, climb the house, climb fences, burrow under walls and pop up next door! The kind where if you’re thinking of grilling thick slices of pork loin for dinner you pad barefoot out the backdoor and snip some rosemary.
- Scuba diving on a coral reef. I’d love to learn to scuba dive, because I could stay underwater for long periods and have no pain. I could do it in the Ohio River, but there are some seriously nasty bacteria in there and nothing much to see unless you’re fond of catfish. I want to see Nemo and Dory and all their friends. Where would you rather be today?
There were a lot of great prompts over at Mama Kat’s Writers Workshop this week. Go check them out (Tue post) and link up (Thur post)!